This resource provides a comprehensive summary of the various entities that comprise postsecondary governance ecosystems in each state and the District of Columbia. It also:
- Focuses on and provides in-depth information about statewide coordinating boards/agencies and governing boards. If statewide boards do not exist, then information is provided for major systemwide coordinating and governing boards.
- Includes general information about other state higher education entities, such as administrative/service offices, financial aid offices and advisory boards.
- Lists other postsecondary system-level governing boards, most multi-campus institutional boards and membership organizations.
This resource does not include information related to setting tuition rates, administering funding formulas or allocating funds. The state profile information is based primarily on statutes, codes and state and postsecondary system board/agency policies. To the extent possible, Education Commission of the States reached out to state and system officials to verify its information.
Click on the comparisons below to see how all states approach these governance structures, or explore the information via this interactive data visualization. Or choose to view a specific state’s approach by going to the individual state profiles page.
- State Overviews
- Does the state have a single statewide coordinating board (or agency) or governing board for all public higher education?
- Statewide and Major Postsecondary System Coordinating and Governing Boards
- Agencies and System Offices Affiliated with Coordinating and Governing Boards
- Administrative and Advisory Entities
- Other Postsecondary System and Multi-Campus Boards
- Membership Organizations
- All Data Points for All States
- An Analysis of State Postsecondary Governance Structures
- High-Level Summary of State Postsecondary Governance Models
- Postsecondary Governance Structures: Regional Compact Analyses and State Profiles
- States Move to Restructure Their Postsecondary Governance Systems
- Shaking Up the Decision-Making Channels in Postsecondary Education
- State Policy Leadership for the Future: History of state coordination and governance and alternatives for the future
- Postsecondary Governance Structures (2007)
PUBLISHED: March 5, 2019
RESOURCE TYPE: 50-State Comparison