This unique resource provides concise findings, policy implications and recommendations on key issues.
Criteria for Inclusion
- Wide-reaching recommendations and policy implications.
- Implications for state-level policy.
- Interventions hold potential for replication.
- Peer-reviewed/juried — although exceptions will be made on a case-by-case basis.
- Accountability: Do high-stakes systems raise student achievement?
- Achievement Gaps: How do state standards, assessments, curriculum influence achievement?
- Advanced Placement: Do state policies matter?
- Choice of Schools: What do policymakers need to know?
- College Access: What helps to promote student access to college?
- College Persistence & Completion: What impacts student & institutional success?
- Common Core: What is it I need to know?
- Counseling: Does it really impact student decisionmaking?
- Developmental Studies/Remedial Education: What is the impact of policy and practice?
- Developmental Studies/Remedial Education: What role does and can it play in college completion?
- Dropouts: Why do students drop out of school and what might help them to stay?
- English Language Learners:Which approaches best impact achievement?
- Governance: Do governance structures impact policy, finance and student outcomes
- Grade Configurations (i.e., K-3, K-8, 6-8): Do they matter?
- Health: What is its relationship to achievement?
- High School Curriculum: How important is rigor?
- Leadership: What policies and/or practices matter most?
- Mathematics: Which practices impact student achievement?
- Ninth Grade: Is it a make-or-break time for a successful high school career?
- Parent Involvement: What most impacts student success?
- PreK-Grade 3: What features define high-quality learning environments?
- Preschool: How ready is ready for school?
- Reading/Literacy: Which practices matter most?
- Return on Investment: Where should leaders invest?
- School Improvement: What works in improving low-performing schools/districts?
- Student Mobility: Does it affect educational outcomes?
- Students with Disabilities: Enhancing outcomes
- Teaching Quality: How prevalent are research-based practices in the classroom?
- Teaching Quality: What helps recruit and retain good teachers?
- Teaching Quality: What metrics best measure teacher effectiveness?
- Teaching Quality: What preparation and practices matter?
- Using Data: How can long-term outcomes inform instructional programming?
- Value of an Education: What educational & student factors impact later earnings?
Reference in this Web site to any specific commercial products, processes or services, or the use of any trade, firm or corporation name is for the information and convenience of the public, and does not constitute endorsement or recommendation by the Education Commission of the States. Please contact Jennifer Thomsen at 303-299-3633 or firstname.lastname@example.org for further information regarding the information posting standards and user policies of the Education Commission of the States.
PUBLISHED: January 6, 2015
RESOURCE TYPE: Research Study Synopsis