Who We Are
The National Center for Learning and Civic Engagement (NCLCE) is a center within Education Commission of the States committed to strengthening civic learning and engagement opportunities for students across the country.
- NCLCE supports state education leaders’ efforts to foster civic learning and engagement opportunities for all students.
- NCLCE complements the mission of Education Commission of the States with a unique level of expertise and collaboration within the fields of civic education and civic engagement.
- NCLCE is led by a director and an executive board composed of state and local education leaders.
Why We Matter
Civic engagement must be taught to the nation’s young people; becoming a good citizen takes practice.
- Schools have historically been, and continue to be, the best avenue to ensure that students gain the knowledge, skills and dispositions needed for productive participation in civic and democratic life.
- Despite the fact that most Americans agree on the importance of preparing young people for participation in their communities and government, the role that civic education plays in public schools has been reduced substantially in the past 50 years.
- While states have made efforts to improve instruction in the core academic disciplines, few states have provided similar support for civic education.
What We Do
NCLCE works to further its goal by equipping state policymakers with the research and data needed to strengthen civic education programs.
- NCLCE works with state education leaders and policymakers to promote and support civic education and civic engagement as essential components of America’s education system.
- NCLCE provides state education leaders with technical assistance and opportunities for collaboration, including sharing and showcasing examples of high-quality policies, models and best practices for civic engagement and civic education.
- NCLCE’s objective is to restore the civic mission of schools by supporting education leaders’ efforts to foster civic learning and engagement opportunities for all students.