Education Commission of the States tracks state education policy on a wide variety of education topics. There are three options available:
- Scroll down to view enacted and vetoed bills on a wide variety of education topics for the 2017 and 2018 legislative sessions.
- Click here to view our 2018 State Education Policy Watch List, which includes pending legislation in a few issue areas.
- Click here to view an archive of state policy tracking for the 1996 through 2016 legislative sessions.
2017 and 2018 State Policy Tracking
The map below displays enacted and vetoed bills on a wide variety of education topics for the 2017 and 2018 legislative sessions, updated on an on-going basis. Information can be filtered by state and/or issue and sub-issue, or searched by keywords in bill titles.
- To filter by state: Click on a state on the map. Issues and sub-issues addressed in that state will display to the right of the map and a list of bills, with links to bill summaries, will appear below the map.
- To filter by issue and sub-issue: To the right of the map, click an issue area and then a sub-issue.The map will reset to show only those states that have enacted or vetoed bills related to your choices. Use the bill list under the map to view detailed summaries written by our policy team.
- Use the “Bill Title Keyword Search” bar above and to the right of the map to narrow your search further.
- Scroll below the map for more tips and tricks.
After filtering the bills, view the bill list under the map and click on the arrow to view detailed summaries written by our policy team.
*Do not use your browser’s back button to return to the map – use the “Return to Map” button at the top of the bill page. To reset the map, use the “reset” button (|←) at the bottom of the page.
- With your cursor on the map, click the magnifying glass and type a state name to go directly to that state.
- Zoom in or out using the + and – buttons.
- Hover over the arrow to:
- Zoom in to a chosen area
- Move the map
- Hold down the Ctrl button while clicking on states to choose multiple states.
- Hold down the Ctrl button to choose multiple issue areas or sub-issues.
If you have questions or comments, please contact Jennifer Thomsen (firstname.lastname@example.org).
PUBLISHED: February 17, 2017
RESOURCE TYPE: State Legislation